Frequently Asked Questions

21 Apr 2021

Can I put my membership on hold?

No, you must pay your annual subscription fee in the year in which it is due in order to keep your CTA membership. If your circumstances have changed you may be eligible to transfer to a reduced rate. If you decide not to maintain your membership then you must resign, by sending an email to providing a reason for your resignation.

What happens if I do not pay my subscription?

If you do pay your subscription in a timely manner your membership benefits are put on hold. You will be sent a series of reminders before your name is eventually sent to Council for consideration for exclusion.

Membership subscriptions are due for payment by 31 January every year.

Members are unable to lapse membership through non-payment or non-compliance. The Byelaws governing the CIOT state that membership can only be terminated by resignation or by exclusion from Membership either by Council or by the Taxation Disciplinary Board.  You can read more about the details of Termination of Membership here the relevant section is set out in Paragraph 10.

If you are working, you are required to submit an Annual Return by 31 January every year.

If I resign or am excluded can I re-apply?

f you resign or are excluded from membership, you may wish to re-apply. 

Please write to requesting a membership re-application form.

You will be asked to submit the form together with a covering letter stating why you resigned or were excluded and why you wish to re-join, an up-to-date CV, and submit at least 1 year of current CPD records to prove that you are up to date with your tax knowledge. 

You would also need to pay a re-joining fee which may be a multiple of the years missed, in addition to the annual subscription fee for the year in which you are re-joining. Your re-application would then be considered by a panel of the relevant committee and may or may not be successful depending on your circumstances. 

Still have a question? Please use our chatbot at the bottom of this page or use the contact us form here.